Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Disney Sequels: Little Mermaid 2

As many of you know (especially the kids from the 90's), we grew up will some of Disney's greatest films.  Films such as "Beauty and the Beast", "The Little Mermaid", "Lion King", and "Aladdin" were amazing, and we couldn't help but be in awe with such masterpieces.  When Disney announced that they were going to make sequels to these beloved classics, we were all freaking happy.  We were going to see our favorite characters again.  Oh boy, were we the fools.  These "direct-to-video" sequels were buckets of trash that came thirty feet under the bowels of hell.

Today I'm going to focus on the "direct-to-video" sequel to the Little Mermaid titled, "The Little Mermaid 2: Return to the Sea."  I admit I loved the first movie, but the only reason why I liked it was because of Ursula.  To be honest, I was not a big Ariel fan.  I found Ariel to kind of be selfish throughout most of the film.  She didn't learn anything, and I felt that she did not grow as a character at all.  She's a freaking princess from an underwater kingdom, and she undergoes the stereotypical "I want more" syndrome that most Disney princesses have.   She wants to be human, and since her "daddy" told her no, she just sells her soul to a sea witch to be with a guy she doesn't even know.  That's right girls just sell your soul to the freaking devil the next time your dad tells you that you can't get the Ipad 3. 

Anyways, back to the sequel.  This movie is just a rehash of the original story.  There's no originality whatsoever.  Ariel has a daughter named Melody (named after Ariel's beautiful voice).  Yeah, Ariel took you all day to come up with that name huh (kind of conceited)?  Ursula's sister, Morgana, wants revenge against Ariel and Eric for killing Ursula.  And yes people, she is voiced by Par Caroll (the same person who voiced Ursula).  Sad just sad.

They try to pass this film off as a musical, but it only has I think four songs (if you can call them that).  They are horrible by the way.  Most of the music has the same instrumentation with different words.  The animation is inconsistent most of the time.  Sometimes it's good, and most of the time the characters just look stupid.  

Melody grows up not knowing her mermaid heritage (because her mother wants to keep her safe from Morgana, bite me!).  To keep her safe, Ariel comes up with the bright idea to big a freaking huge wall in front of the castle.  Really, she couldn't have just moved to another part of the world?!  How did the fishermen, who make their living by fishing, not have an uproar?!

Ok back to this crap, Melody has a love for the sea.  Who wrote this story?!  I can't even write about this film anymore.  It's not a new story if you're just going to retell the exact same story!!  So what if they switch the roles around, this is crap! Melody wants to be a mermaid, just like Ariel wanted to be human.  They both sell their soul or trust (whatever) to get what they want.  No, I must go on.

In the end Morgana's defeated and all is well.  Like hell it is!!  My sanity is not well.  I feel embarrassed to say that I watched this movie when I was eight.  Ten years later, this film is so stupid and terrible it just should not have even been made.

I'm the Movie Rant Reviewer.  I rant about it, because no one else will.  :(

(I do not own this picture.)

No comments:

Post a Comment